The Good Cookie
Makes about 32 cookies
Make the dough
1. sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowls; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars at medium-high speed until light in texture and color, about 2 minutes. Beat in the crystallized ginger and lemon zest until combined. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing just until blended.
3. Scrape the dough out onto a work surface and shape it into an 18 -inch log 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches in diameter. Cut the log into two 9-inch logs. Wrap each dough log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until firm (or up to 3 days).
Slice and bake the cookies
4. Position two racks near the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 F.
5. Unwrap the dough. Cut the logs into 3/8 inch thick slices and arrange the cookies on ungreased baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake, two sheets at a time, for 23 to 25 minutes, switching the position of the sheets halfway through baking, until the edges are lightly golden. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cook completely.
Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Chefs / Baking,
Desserts & Bread / Canadian / Drinks / Entertaining / General